Thursday, February 24, 2011

True Grit (2010)

Let me start off by saying WOW, I really really enjoyed this movie. I have seen the original and I do not think it would be fair to compare the two. My husband has helped me fall in love with John Wayne; we must own at least 20 of his movies, of which I have watched them all.

I say that it would not be fair to compare the two because, at the time the original was made movies didn't show people getting shot in the face, or fingers getting lopped off. Movies weren't as realistic as they are now, so this 2010 version had the luxury of being more true to the book, than the 1969 version.
Starring Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, and surprisingly enough Matt Damon. Let's go character by character this time shall we? 


Jeff Bridges shared the Duke's character of Rooster Cogburn; it wasn't the same at all. Bridges made it his own and did a wonderful job turning Rooster in something only the Coen brothers could dream up. I love the Duke but I don't imagine real cowboys looking as clean-shaven or as sharp as he. Bridges' Cogburn was nasty, drunk, and believable. The Duke's rendition was a little on the softer side.
Steinfeld, who at only 15 took my breath away, played Mattie. She reminded me of a young Judy Garland. I only hope she does as well, minus the drugs and terrible life.
 
Matt Damon, umm where the hell did this come from? In the original I thought LaBouf was a background character at the most, Damon brought it to life. All I thought I knew about Damon has changed; he is really someone to keep your eye on.
As you can tell I have a lot to say about this film, which is because it was truly a joy to watch. It had everything in it you would hope of a classic western, comedy, blood, gore, a damsel in distress, and the good guy always wins. If you aren't sure what the next film you should see is, let me tell you it's True Grit.


Also, please leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment