Wednesday, February 16, 2011

#4 Buried (2010)

Sometimes I truly wish I could enjoy a film without putting so much thought into it. I fear yet again I have put way too much thought into a silly movie. Also on a different note, my husband brought to my attention all of the massive typos in the third addition to this blog, my sincerest apologies to all of you. Now if you don't mind back to the business at hand.

Buried (2010) starring Ryan Reynolds, who I usually enjoy. At least I thought so, until the one part I apparently do enjoy is missing :
This film wanted to have a political statement, it really did. Reynolds put extra emphasis on IRAQ every time he said it, the word government was dropped often and still this was not as politically oriented as they obviously wanted to be. It is hard to make a political statement about a war when it becomes so obvious that the writer knows nothing about the war except one area where the war is happening, and various names of state departments.
Besides that I thought it was a good movie, I think that a better statement that was made was about governmental bureaucracy in America. I think the events that unfolded in this film are a very realistic possibility if someone was buried alive by terrorists which saddens me.


I thought Reynolds' acting was to be expected, and I was curious why he was chosen for this film. He is usually in films for exactly what I have come to look forward to, his crazy body, and occasionally he brings back the goofy guy from Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place, but almost never is he the serious actor. I don't think I've ever seen him as the serious actor basing nothing on his looks.
  I thought the filming of this was clever and never felt like it was filmed anywhere besides the interior of a coffin, I felt claustrophobic just watching. The dialogue left something to be desired, but over all the film was okay. It's definitely a renter, I'm glad I didn't spend $10 to watch a guy in a box on a movie screen. More of the movie was dark than not. I was comfortable spending $1 at the Redbox for this one, and glad I didn't get this in blu-ray.
For next week I have been considering discussing Star Trek (TNG): First Contact, it's my favorite. But we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment