Monday, January 31, 2011

The Matrix

-What's up with all of the oldies?
-Truthfully?
-The husband and I got a new tv, blu ray player, and surround sound system and are watching every neat looking action flick ever made. And because umm... The Matrix fucking rocks hard.

(We will not discuss the 2 horrible movies that followed that just so happened to have most of the same actors and supposedly the same premise. They are worthless, wastes of time and a shame to the Matrix empire.)

First I want to admit, that I know every single word to this movie. When it came out I was 11 years old, and this was the first thing that ever made me think there were other people out there like me. A man searching for something so desperately, yet not sure what it is. Subconsciously expecting to wake up from this reality. This was the 11 year old me. I watched this movie every available minute. I am even a little ashamed to say I had to purchase this VHS twice as the first one wore out in my VCR. I didn't watch Star Trek during my 6 month long marathon of this movie. Let me remind you that Star Trek was having new episodes at this point and I still opted to watch the same movie over and over rather than feed my Trekaddiction.

Well we watched it again this weekend. This time the way it was meant to be watched and it was amazing. Isn't it funny when you watch movies like this, it's like your sitting in your Mom's basement all over again thinking that this is the movie that will change the world. But it didn't, in fact it didn't even change my world. It just made things a little hopeful that one day, I too would find reality.

And I did eventually find it, I guess. It turns out in the real world Kikwear are not the best pants in the world. Blue hair really isn't as necessary as it seemed. And living on the road by my own rules really seems dangerous now. And no, to find this reality Neo did not kick in the door to my mother's house to save me, like I always dreamed. I found it on my own.

So in the end the Matrix was the same as it was 12 years ago- wait it's been 12 years? Wow, it doesn't seem like it has been that long.
Neo is still hot, the music is still awesome, the plot is still great, and the effects look even better in HD. If you haven't seen this movie you are an idiot and you probably shouldn't be reading my blog. The only thing that has changed is the viewer, a little wiser, and a little less optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment